Build trust and team spirit while engaging in projects that support pets and people in the community.
We offer a variety of opportunities for groups to hold a day of service on the grounds of the Maryland SPCA. We engage dozens of corporations, university groups, and nonprofit groups each year. Volunteer groups assist us with our lifesaving work by cleaning our kennels, sterilizing laundry and dishes, preparing treats for our positive reinforcement dog training program, and cleaning our adoption wagon before events.
Each group that visits the Maryland SPCA for a day of service will receive a behind the scenes tour of the shelter and get the opportunity to meet an adoptable pet!
Please contact us to learn how you can support pets and people through offsite group projects.
Click here for specific information about employee engagement opportunities.
Learn more about nonprofit and student group opportunities below.
Nonprofit and student groups
Thank you for your interest in doing a Day of Service at the Maryland SPCA! We can accommodate a limited number of non-profit and student groups to do Days of Service onsite.
How to Schedule Your Day of Service
- We schedule Days of Service approximately 5 weeks before dates of service, and appreciate advance notice.
- Groups may bring between 4-6 individuals.
- Groups typically perform Days of Service on Fridays and Mondays, groups assist from 9:30 a.m. – 12 p.m. On Saturdays and Sundays, group assist from 8:30 a.m. – 11 a.m. Occasionally, we will need event assistance on other days and times.
- To schedule your Day of Service, please e-mail email@example.com to request a date of service.
EXTRA – Your agenda at the Maryland SPCA
- 10-15 Minutes: Arrive, get set up to go! Team arrives, checks in and signs waivers, and meets with the Volunteer Team.
- 2 Hours: Team is split up into smaller groups, working in our kennels and other team members doing kennel cleaning and other team members assisting our behavior department in making treats, helping our foster department make ‘prep packs,’ and cleaning our transport van so we can save more animals!
- 30 Minutes – Tour, meet adoptable animals and team photos!
Types of Tasks Performed by Volunteers
- We give groups the opportunity to work together to fulfill essential daily tasks. Groups bond while cleaning our kennel, assisting with laundry and dishes, washing our transport vans, and more. While our volunteers will meet an animal ambassador at the end of each day of service, we do not permit groups to handle or walk our adoptable animals. Anyone interested in individually becoming a volunteer who works with animals regularly can learn more [link back to regular Volunteer Page].
Volunteer Experience: The presence of animal fur, animal dander, and peanut butter can be found throughout our facility. Please plan accordingly to ensure that you have a safe visit.