Build trust and team spirit while engaging in projects that support pets and people in the community.
We offer a variety of opportunities for groups to hold a day of service on the grounds of the Maryland SPCA. We engage dozens of corporations, university groups, and nonprofit groups each year.
Each group that visits the Maryland SPCA for a day of service will receive a behind the scenes tour of the shelter and get the opportunity to meet an adoptable pet!
How to schedule your day of service
- To schedule your Day of Service, please complete this form.
- We schedule Days of Service approximately five weeks before dates of service, and appreciate advance notice.
- Groups may bring up to 10 individuals.
Your agenda at the Maryland SPCA
- 10-15 Minutes: Arrive, get set up to go! Team arrives, checks in and signs waivers, and meets with the Volunteer Team.
- 2-3 Hours: Team is split up into smaller groups, working in your assigned role around the shelter.
- 30 Minutes: Tour, meet adoptable animals and team photos!
Types of tasks performed by volunteers
- Volunteer groups assist us with our lifesaving work by cleaning our kennels, sterilizing laundry and dishes, preparing treats for our positive reinforcement dog training program, and cleaning our adoption wagon before events.
- While our volunteers will meet an animal ambassador at the end of each day of service, we do not permit groups to handle or walk our adoptable animals. If you’re interested in working with animals regularly, you can apply to become an individual volunteer.
The presence of animal fur, animal dander, and peanut butter can be found throughout our facility. Please plan accordingly to ensure that you have a safe visit.