Schedule: The successful candidate will be available 15-20 hours per week. We’re flexible on specific days. The office is open Monday through Friday.
This is a spring internship. Start and end dates are flexible, with a preference for beginning in January.
Position Summary: The marketing and communications intern will support the daily work of the Maryland SPCA’s marketing and communications team. The intern will help document stories about our shelter pets, staff, and volunteers. This includes writing up descriptions, photographing and videoing, and adapting content for social media.
The intern will also help with event planning, social media monitoring, WordPress website updates, email marketing, creating flyers, and preparing pet information for local TV segments. Our 2020 Festival for the Animals is scheduled for April, so the intern will get a behind-the-scenes look at event marketing and logistics.
The Maryland SPCA is committed to giving you a meaningful experience. We want you to feel like you’re a valued part of the team. We’ll provide exposure to multiple nonprofit communications functions, help you understand how our team fits with other departments (including our animal care workers), and allow you to explore careers in animal welfare.
- Current undergraduate student in marketing, communications, or related field.
- Experience using Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram.
- Experience using WordPress CMS (preferred but not required).
- Proficient in photography and videography (preferred but not required).
- Good writing skills, including correct grammar and punctuation.
- Reliable and detail oriented.
- Sense of humor is a must.
- Frequent sitting, with some standing, walking, bending, and reaching; and
- Use of computer keyboard, cameras, and telephone.
- Work is performed in both office and shelter settings;
- Exposure to various weather conditions when working outdoors; and
- Occasional exposure to high noise when in kennel area.
To apply, please submit a cover letter, resume, and writing sample to Andy Beres at firstname.lastname@example.org.