Dog deputies play a crucial role in providing humane care and ensuring dogs’ health and safety in our care. Working with staff, they provide enrichment for the dogs in our shelter. They also introduce dogs to potential adopters.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Walk and socialize with dogs on the Maryland SPCA’s property, in the kennel, at “fun runs,” and in our “Get Acquainted Room.”
- Introduce dogs to prospective adopters.
- Ability to lift and/or restrain 50+ pounds.
- Walking for periods of time with frequent bending, kneeling, stooping and reaching.
- Volunteering is performed in a kennel setting.
- Volunteers can be exposed to strong smells, animal waste, and potentially hazardous conditions, including the risk of animal bites.
- Volunteers are required to wear pants, closed toe shoes, and shirts with sleeves at all time. A volunteer t-shirt will be provided after 10 hours of service.
- A minimum of 2 shifts per month for 6 months.