Are you interested in volunteering with the Maryland SPCA? Would you like to give back and help pets and people?
We have a virtual opportunity for you! The Maryland SPCA has recreated our Wagging Tales Reading Hour virtually. Children aged 5-10 will log on to their computers on Thursday afternoons to read to volunteer pets! This will help children connect with animals while practicing their reading skills in a positive, non-judgmental space.
Volunteers are needed Thursdays from 3:45 – 4:30 p.m.
In order to participate, you must:
- Have a pet who can still for at least 15 minutes (taking a nap or eating dinner is perfect). Cats, dog, rabbits, hedgehogs, parakeets, etc. are welcome).
- Have a webcam you can be position on your pet(s).
- Have a stable internet connection and access to Zoom.
- Be at least 15 years old and/or enrolled in high school.
- Schedule an orientation.
- Do I need to be able to volunteer for each reading session? No! You can volunteer with us once a week, twice a month, or every week. It’s up to you!
- I need service learning hours for high school or college. Would this count? Yes, absolutely.
- Could I do this with a smartphone? Yes, you can use your smartphone to log into Zoom.
- Will training be provided? Yes, all volunteers go through a training session.
- I’m not in Maryland. Volunteers from across the U.S. (and even the world) support this program! As long as you can log on to Zoom from 3:45 p.m. – 4:30 p.m. EDT on Thursdays, we’d love to have you volunteer with us.
- What’s my next step? Schedule an orientation.
- I have a friend who interested in volunteering. Great! Share this page with them.
- I know a child who might be interested in reading to the animals. How can I connect them to the program? Email firstname.lastname@example.org for more details.